Photos are memories. They are frozen moments in time that document events of importance to us. It is estimated that 1.4 billion photos are clicked every day with mobile devices! And 638 million of them are shared on social networks.
That is a lot of data. And iPhones store their fair share of images.
So what do Apple users do when their iOS devices crash, suffer liquid damage, phones get corrupted by viruses or experience processor heating? The subsequent loss of data includes photographs of professional, personal and emotional value.
Dr. Fone from Wondershare is an amazingly efficient tool that can aid how to recover photos from iPhone 4s in three comprehensive modes.
Let’s find out how.
Some Things to Consider:
There are a couple of things to consider before initiating a scan.
1. A scan has to be triggered as soon as photograph loss is detected. Continuing to use the iPhone 4s may lead to overwriting of data in the deeper recesses of the device memory with information from installed apps. This compromises scan success.
2. Device Firmware Upgrade (DFU) mode allows Dr. Fone to apply a root to the iPhone prior to body scan. Thus activating DFU is essential for the success of the scan. To reach DFU:
- Press the Power button for 3 seconds.
- Long press both Power and Home buttons for 10 seconds.
- Release the Power button but keep the Home button pressed for 15 more seconds.
Dr. Fone provides an animated screen, complete with countdowns to facilitate the process.
3. You must also prevent data synchronization between the iTunes account on the PC/laptop supporting Dr. Fone and the connected iPhone 4s. In order to do this, click ‘Preferences’ from the iTunes dashboard, scroll to ‘Devices’ and tick ‘Prevent iPads, iPhones and iPods from Syncing Automatically’.
How to Recover Photos from iPhone 4S in 3 Modes
Mode 1: Recover from iOS Device
iOS recovery is considered to be the most reliable way of retrieving all the content of an iPhone. This is because certain data types are not transferred or saved when backups on iTunes or iCloud are created.
1. Put the iPhone 4s in DFU mode and connect it to a computer with Dr. Fone installed on it through the USB cable provided.
2. Launch Dr. Fone and choose the first option – Recover from iOS Device on the home screen.
3. Allow the system to analyze the device model and determine compatibility. If Dr. Fone finds it to be a fit, the ‘Start Scan’ button becomes available. Click it to trigger the scan.
4. A scan that is underway notes its time to completion through the progress bar. To the right of this bar there are two buttons – Pause and Stop. Both can be used to interrupt a scan before natural completion for data recovery on the fly. The directory to the left of the screen has several nodes, each standing for a particular data type. The number next to a node indicates the files that can be recovered by the system. This is an easy way to navigate what is available and filter the required data categories. For the purpose of this tutorial, the focus is on App Photos and Camera Roll.
5. Once the scan is done, the display screen prompts you to select the images from the repository. Tick appropriate checkboxes to choose individual items or files in bulk. The search bar on the upper right calls up images by name or keywords. With all the pictures rounded up, hit ‘Recover’ to reinstate them to the connected iPhone 4s.
Mode 2: Recover from iTunes Backup File
iTunes recovery is the fastest mode that Dr. Fone offers. The unique thing about this process is that you can actually view all the available files in the backup container and then selectively retrieve what is needed.
1. Connect the iPhone 4s to the PC or laptop where Dr. Fone is installed and choose the second option – Recover from iTunes Backup File.
2. This gives you access to all the backup files in the iTunes account. Select the one that is most likely to hold the images you are looking to retrieve. Use filters like file name, file size and date of creation to facilitate the process. Click ‘Start Scan’ once you are done.
3. When the scan completes, a display screen is presented. This gives you the opportunity to examine items before recovery to ensure you are choosing only what is relevant. Recovery takes place as in Mode 1.
Mode 3: Recover from iCloud Backup File
iCloud is the online backup platform Apple provides its users. It is convenient and hosts information on Apple servers for eventualities like phone crash or theft.
1. Connect the iPhone 4s to Dr. Fone and choose the third option – Recover from iCloud Backup File.
2. Input the necessary login credentials and allow the Dr. Fone system entry into the iCloud account.
3. Here you must choose the backup container that has the highest probability of having the photos you seek. Be careful at this stage because the file you pick will first need to be downloaded from the servers. Use attributes like file size and date of creation to select the correct one.
4. Hit ‘Download’ and then from the pop-up, tick the options ‘App Photos’ and ‘Camera Roll’. You essentially give the Dr. Fone system permission to scan data for only these two categories, cutting down the time to completion.
5. The recovery of the images can be facilitated by clicking the ‘Recover’ button after rounding up the files on the display screen.
With Dr. Fone, no mode requires you to go through more than 5 steps. The interface is simple thus it is extremely easy how to recover photos from iPhone 4S.
Recapitulating the steps:
- Connect the iPhone 4s to Dr. Fone.
- Choose the right mode.
- Select a backup file if needed.
- Allow the scan to complete.
- Recover the images to the iPhone 4s.