It is hard to believe but all over the world, 60 billion messages are sent through WhatsApp everyday! 1.6 billion photos and 200 million videos also make the list. And 22% of this data is exchanged by Apple device users.
That is a lot of information whizzing around waiting to be lost. Because an iPhone is just as susceptible to liquid damage, virus corruption and processor overheating as an Android model, accidental deletions are also equally common.
Thus it is essential to have a reliable and fast recovery option at hand. Dr. Fone from Wondershare is one such tool you can use so you can proceed how to recover WhatsApp messages in three comprehensive modes.
Before Using Dr. Fone, Please Keep in Mind
1. A scan should be initiated as soon as data loss is detected. This is to ensure that various installed applications do not compromise data integrity by overwriting the information in the deeper caches of the device memory.
2. An iPhone can’t be scanned unless it is in Device Firmware Upgrade (DFU) mode. This mode is characterized by a blank screen. To activate the DFU state:
- Press the Power button for 3 seconds.
- Press the Power and Home buttons together for 10 seconds.
- Press the Home button for 15 more seconds after releasing the Power button.
Dr. Fone also offers a guidance screen with animated countdowns to guide users if they have not put the iPhone in DFU mode prior to establishing a connection with Dr. Fone.
3. If Dr. Fone is installed on the same PC/laptop as the iTunes account associated with the iPhone, it is important to disable the auto synchronization of data between the two. In order to do this, visit the iTunes dashboard, click ‘Preferences’, scroll to ‘Devices’ and tick ‘Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically’.
Mode 1: Recover from iOS Device
This mode is the only option available to WhatsApp users if they do not take regular backups to either iTunes or iCloud.
1. Put the device in DFU mode and connect it to the computer (PC or laptop) that supports Dr. Fone. This is possible through the USB cable provided with the device.
2. Launch Dr. Fone from the desktop and choose the first option ‘Recover from iOS Device’ on the welcome screen.
3. This prompts Dr. Fone to analyze the model of the connected iPhone to make sure a full recovery is possible and that the device is compatible. Once this is done, the ‘Start Scan’ button becomes available. Click it to initiate the process.
4. A scan that is underway has a progress bar with the time to scan completion noted beneath and two buttons ‘Pause’ and ‘Stop’ to its right. These help halt or terminate the process midway for recovery on the fly.
There is a directory to the left of the screen with nodes standing for different data categories. The numbers next to them indicate the files that are available for retrieval. When you interrupt a scan, you can use these nodes to examine data and transfer it back to your iPhone.
5. Upon scan completion, the display screen is presented. Use the directory (and its nodes) to navigate to WhatsApp Messages and select items in bulk or individually by ticking appropriate checkboxes. The search bar calls up messages by keyword or name of the recipient. When the needed information is properly selected, hit ‘Recover’.
You can reinstate the data back to the iPhone.
Mode 2: Recover from iTunes Backup File
iTunes is Apple’s legacy backup platform. It is an offline option that requires a physical connection between an iPhone and its iTunes account to save critical information to the hard drive of a PC or laptop. Here’s how to recover WhatsApp messages using iTunes:
1. Launch Dr. Fone and choose the second option – Recover from iTunes Backup File to call up a list of backup containers that might hold the messages (or attachments) that you seek.
2. From this list, choose the one that has the highest probability of being the right file. This can be easily determined with the help of qualifiers like file size, date of creation and file name. With the right backup selected, hit ‘Start Scan’.
3. Allow the scan to run its course and then use the directory as in Mode 1 to peruse WhatsApp messages that can be recovered. Items can be selected individually or in bulk by ticking the right checkboxes, and they can also be reinstated to the iPhone.
Mode 3: Recover from iCloud Backup File
iCloud complements iTunes as the online backup platform offered to iPhones. With this application, users can save copies of their data sets to Apple’s servers with the help of Wi-Fi connectivity.
1. Launch Dr. Fone and choose the third option ‘Recover from iCloud Backup File’.
2. Input your iCloud login credentials to allow Dr. Fone access to the backup files stored on Apple’s servers.
3. From this list, select the file that is the most likely to hold the WhatsApp messages you wish to recover. Use criteria like file name, size of file and date of file creation to zero-in on a particular backup. Click ‘Download’.
4. From the pop-up, choose the option WhatsApp. You may also keep ‘WhatsApp Attachments’ checked to include them in the data to be downloaded. This filter ensures that only the files you need are accessed from the servers and then scanned by the utility.
5. Allow the scan to progress and complete. Once done, you can recover the required messages to the iPhone or to the hard disk of the PC/laptop.
How to recover WhatsApp messages has an easy answer – with Dr. Fone from Wondershare!
Recapping the process:
- Connect the iPhone to Dr. Fone.
- Choose a recovery mode.
- Select the correct backup file (if needed).
- Allow the scan to run its course.
- Recover the WhatsApp messages back to the iPhone.