Now you’ve gone and done it! What was that Apple ID again? And who can remember all their usernames and passwords anyway?! Apple are no different when it comes to requiring IDs and passwords for using all the important features of their products – and this includes if you want to do a factory reset on your iPhone.
You might like to factory reset your iPhone for a number of reasons:
- You’re running out of memory on your phone and want a clean start
- You’ll be selling your iPhone or giving it to a friend or family member
- Your software is having too many issues and you’d like to fix it
- You think you have a virus on your iPhone
- You received an iPhone from someone else and they haven’t factory reset it yet
Generally, you will need your Apple ID and password to factory reset your phone. But if you’ve forgotten it (and who wouldn’t, when was the last time you needed it anyway?), you may have to make an appointment to go into the Apple store to retrieve it but who’s got time for that?
Luckily, we’ve got a solution here for you. Learn how to reset iPhone without Apple ID all by yourself, in the comforts of your home. Do keep in mind though that if you want to keep all your phone data, you must make a backup first before you begin. If you fail to back up, then all the data stored currently on your iPhone might just be lost forever!
Here’s how to do the backup first:
1. Download and install Dr. Fone for iPhone. It’s a software solution that will help you save all the data from your phone onto your computer before you wipe it!
2. Connect your iPhone to the computer by using its USB data cable.
3. Open the Dr. Fone software.
4. Click on Recover from iOS Device in the panel down the left hand side.
5. Leave all checkboxes selected. This means all your data will be saved including messages, contacts, voicemail and notes.
6. Press the Start button at the bottom.
7. Dr. Fone will scan your iPhone to find all the data on it. The screen will look like this as it is scanning. Wait for it to finish.
8. When the scan completes, tick all the checkboxes on the left hand side to select all your data.
9. Click on Recover which will then save all your phone data onto your computer.
10. You’re done! Time to exit Dr. Fone and get started with the factory reset!
Factory Reset Steps
1. Open up iTunes on your computer.
2. Make sure that your phone is still connected to the computer via the USB cable and then switch your phone off by holding down the Power button.
3. Press down and hold the Home button on your iPhone for three seconds.
4. Press down and hold both the Home button and the Power button on your iPhone for 10 seconds.
5. When the Apple logo disappears from your iPhone screen, let go of the Power button.
6. When iTunes pops up a message saying “iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode…” then you can let go of the Home button.
7. Select OK on iTunes.
8. Click on the section on iTunes that says “Restore iPhone…” and follow the corresponding instructions.
9. A message will pop up on iTunes that says “Your iPhone has been restored to factory settings and is restarting…”
10. Click OK.
11. Wait for your phone to restart. Once it has been restarted, it means your phone was successfully restored to factory settings – all without needing your Apple ID!
Now that you have factory reset your phone, you can either sell it or give it away, or create a new Apple ID for yourself. If you are creating a new ID, make sure that this time you’d write down your Apple ID and password carefully and put them in a secure place for safekeeping. This way, if you happen to forget either your Apple ID or password again, you can easily retrieve them!