Launched in 2013 and with a vibrant, pixel rich 4-inch display, the iPhone 5s proved that good things come in small(er) packages.
Everything from Camera Roll images to videos to audio snippets to voice memos to calendars and messages, the device is capable of multitasking and storing huge volumes of data in its ever expansive memory.
So what happens when an iPhone 5s suffers physical trauma, virus corruption or liquid damage? Users are no longer able to access precious memories, sensitive information and critical planning aids like their schedules. Under such circumstances, it is essential to recover the lost data as soon as possible.
The utility Dr. Fone from Wondershare is a one of its kind application that initiates iPhone 5s data recovery in three exhaustive modes.
Before Starting a Scan, Please Keep in Mind
1. Time is of the essence. A scan that is initiated immediately after data loss or deletion will be more successful. Delays can lead to overwriting of data by the information generated by installed apps.
2. An iPhone 5s has to be put in Device Firmware Upgrade Mode (DFU) before Dr. Fone can probe it properly. To do this:
- Press the Power button for 3 seconds
- Press the Power and Home buttons together for 10 seconds
- Release the Power button but keep the Home button pressed for 15 seconds
Since the execution of the steps has to be precise, Dr. Fone offers an animated instruction screen for guidance.
3. Last but not the least, automatic syncing of data between iTunes and the iPhone 5s has to be prevented. This happens if Dr. Fone is supported by the same PC/laptop that also supports the iTunes account. To disable the process, visit iTunes > Preferences > Devices and check “Prevent iPods, iPhones and iPads from syncing automatically”.
Three Modes for iPhone 5s Data Recovery
Mode 1: Recover from iOS Device
An iOS recovery can be extremely tricky. This is because Apple produces both the hardware and the software for the iPhone 5s resulting in a snug fit. But Dr. Fone can slip in and scan the lost content in just five steps.
1. Connect the iPhone 5s to the PC or laptop supporting Dr. Fone with the provided USB cable and put the device in DFU mode.
2. When the screen of the iPhone 5s goes blank, launch Dr. Fone and choose – Recover from iOS Device on the home screen.
3. Allow the system to analyze the connected iPhone 5s. This is done to ensure that Dr. Fone can facilitate a complete and successful scan of the chosen content type. Once the ‘Start Scan’ button appears, click it to trigger the process.
4. A scan that is underway notes the time to completion with a progress bar. To its right, the buttons “Pause” and “Stop” are used to recover data on the fly. A specialty of Dr. Fone is that the system gives users the flexibility to peruse the items that are being tagged for recovery. If you spot something that is of importance, you can choose to disrupt the scan by halting it or ending it prematurely. This will allow recovery before natural scan completion.
5. A finished scan presents you with the display screen. Let us assume you wish to recover iPhone 5s images. Use the directory to the left of the screen to navigate to the recoverable image files. Each node stands for a particular data category. You can use the search bar to call up items by name or keyword. The On/Off slider focuses the search on only those files that have been deleted. And data can be selected individually or in bulk by ticking the appropriate checkboxes. Once all the files are chosen, use the blue “Recover” button to save the data to the hard disk of the PC/laptop or to restore it directly to the iPhone 5s.
Mode 2: Recover from iTunes Backup File
iTunes is the offline backup platform provided by Apple. It is user friendly but it requires the establishment of a physical connection between the iPhone 5s and the iTunes account to save data copies.
If you are regular about creating backups, Dr. Fone can use these files to recover needed items.
1. Connect the iPhone 5s to Dr. Fone with the provided USB cord and choose the second option – Recover from iTunes Backup File from the home screen.
2. This will call up a list of iTunes backup files so that you can choose the one that is the most likely to hold updated copies of all the information you require. Use file attributes like file name, ID number and date of creation to narrow your selection. With the container marked, click ‘Start Scan’.
3. Allow the scan to extract content from the iTunes backup file and present it to you for perusal. Tick what is required and ‘Recover’ the data to your hard disk or restore it back to the iPhone 5s.
Mode 3: Recover from iCloud Backup File
iCloud is the evolved counterpart of iTunes. The application saves data to Apple’s servers allowing online backup creation. Dr. Fone can also tap this channel for a seamless iPhone 5s data recovery.
1. Put the iPhone 5s in DFU mode, connect it to Dr. Fone and select the third option – Recover from iCloud Backup File.
2. When prompted, input the iCloud login credentials to allow Dr. Fone to access the space and data on Apple’s servers.
3. From the list of possible backup files, select the one that is the most likely to hold all the data you need to restore your device. Filter potentials on the basis of file name and date of creation. When you feel you have made the right choice, click “Download”.
4. The pop-up that is presented next allows users to instruct the Dr. Fone utility to download only certain data types and scan them for the items you need. If you wish to initiate a complete recovery, keep the “Select All” option checked.
5. Tick the files you require from the various display screens pertaining to different data types. And restore them to the iPhone 5s.
This is how easy a full iPhone 5s data recovery is with Dr. Fone from Wondershare!
- Connect the iPhone 5s to Dr. Fone
- Choose the right mode
- Select the backup file
- Allow the scan to complete
- Recover items to the iPhone 5s